Technology - helping them think

Previous posts have waxed lyrical about a constructivist approach and how this is going to actively encourage my students to think for themselves, engage with the content and produce their own work using their existing knowledge and moving it one step on.

However, I have been quick to see that there are some stumbling blocks on both sides of the classroom. There are no quick fix solutions.  Instead, a slow steady pace is needed to instil confidence in such an approach and a creative attitude to overcoming problems will be needed. To this end, in the first instance, I am going to call on technology to help me in achieving my goal.   'Technology as part of a learning theory is more than a tool; it becomes the framework for the methodology' 

It is said that 'constructivist teachers pattern their instruction after the old Chinese saying: "Tell me and I will forget; show me, and I may remember; involve me and I will understand'". This being the case, it is important to provide students with a number of ways to engage in the learning process that accommodates different levels and different learning modalities so that they can all be involved and understand. Undoubtedly, a constructivist approach does not necessarily need to call on technology to ensure it can be successful.  However, why ignore a tool if it can help?  Indeed, technology can do more than just help. In this case it can be the difference between failure and success.  Technology can impact positively in many areas.  It can enhance many elements of the whole learning process starting from the varying types of content to the assessment procedures themselves.  Technology will help students think.

Reference:
Technology in the Classroom: The Impact of Teacher’s Technology Use and Constructivism  Dr. Kerry Rice, Jennifer Cullen and Farnoush Davis



Comments