Creating books with Book Creator

Over the course of these last few weeks I have been using Book Creator app for my studies.  Book Creator provides an easy way to create your own book on iPad or on Android. Charged with keeping a scrapbook to scribble down ideas and thoughts in preparation for my dissertation I thought carefully about how to go about this in a way that would make looking back over my work a useful and easy task.   I wanted to see how my ideas had developed over the weeks and to see a clear progression.  So whilst I liked the flexibility of linoit and padlet as online walls where I could add power points, links to videos and any other URL I wanted I had to rule them both out as they did not allow for a week by week progression.   Book Creator became my first choice app largely because of its book like quality.  Each page would represent a week of my thoughts.  Below is a selection of some of the pages I created.



created using PhotoCollage App on the iPad



You might be able to see that I have some links to websites and some recordings too.  There are plenty of  other features available too as the photo below demonstrates.   



This app has been very useful for me and I have been using it in class too.  I only have the one iPad but whilst some of my students created their postcards using Microsoft Publisher there was enough flexibility over a period of a three or four lessons to let my Year 8 students create a book using Book Creator.  There was obviously some learning to do in terms of how the app worked but really it is quite intuitive and the students quickly picked up how to copy images and paste them in and how to add conversations.  On this page below they also added a conversation about their time abroad. 


The students were totally engaged and worked well independently.  They are a motivated group of students already but this did provide a little extra motivation and the postcard task was transformed using this tool. 


This is definitely an app worth exploring some more.  In terms of sharing what you have created it is possible to send a finished product as an eBook by email. 


Have you used Book Creator before?  Let me know what you think of it?  I would be interested to hear your thoughts.  Let me know in the comment box below.

Comments