First steps with OneNote

In all my years of teaching I have always written to-do lists to help me keep organised and have had a lovely black academic diary that I have refilled each year.  However, over time I have relied increasingly on my outlook calendar for important dates and deadlines.  Last April, knowing that as a school we would be implementing Office 365 tools in the classroom in the near future, I saw that One Note would be a good place for me to start learning.  I could cut my teeth on my own Notebook and be ready to introduce Class Notebook in September.

I started using my notebook as a personal organiser in late May and by the end of June I had made my decision to give up my old ways of organising my busy working life.  As time has gone on I have become more adept at using the tool and have organised my Notebook accordingly.

Firstly some OneNote Notebook clarification:

  1. A Notebook has sections
  2. Within sections there are pages
  3. Pages can have sub-pages.
In plain language, imagine that a Notebook is like a folder.   The folder (Notebook) can have an infinite number of large file dividers.  These large file dividers are Sections.  Inside the large file dividers (Sections) there is file paper (Pages) and each of these sheets of paper can be named and have sub-headings (sub-pages).


Here are some pointers that you might find useful.

  1. Make use of the sections in Notebook - nothing is written in stone, so if you do not like the name of the section, or if the section becomes obsolete, you can change or delete the section.
  2. Within each section pages can be moved around as required (and/or deleted, of course).  
  3. You can create templates personal to you so that each time you create a new page it can be set up just as you need it (as in the image above - the template provides the notebook image behind, with three lists that I need each week).
  4. It is possible to make a sub-page which I have put to good use in my Class Notebook. The main page has the questions and the sub-page has the answers (perfect for extra work that can be self-marked).
  5. Sections can be Archived which is great for storing away last year’s diary and other information that is useful to keep but that does not need to be referred to frequently.
  6. Group sections allow you to create a number of sections accessed by clicking on one tab only.  This is like having a Notebook within a Notebook.
My first experience using a OneNote Notebook has prepared me well for the next step of setting up a Class Notebook.  More on that in due course.

How do you use your Notebook?  Please let me know in the comments box below.


Comments

  1. Thinking about using it for department admin- intent, policies, weekly bulletins, agendas and minutes, student of the week, department docs eg success criteria, scheme of work overview. What do you think? Also can I make just one page/section collaborative?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea. If you make a notebook for the department you can set up from Teams with a collaboration space or if you make them all owners of the notebook they can then edit etc. That's what we do. We use for meetings, for schemes of work, work scrutiny. Using section groups for the different languages. We use Sharepoint for other docs

      Delete
  2. Hello Jane, I'm a huge fan of your blog and tweets, and have learnt such a lot from you - thank you! I'm just about to join a new school as HoD, and have come from a Google school so am trying to get my head around Teams vs One Note vs Sharepoint. Which is the best place to store resources, SOWs, minutes etc? And if I create a class notebook in OneNote will it automatically sync to the Team? I want to set up all my classes with some resources ready for the first few lessons, and have some resources that i can share with my dept, but am not sure whether to start with Teams, or to start with OneNote. And what is the purpose of Sharepoint? I'm not entirely clear how that fits into it all! Sorry to bombard you but I do feel you're an expert in all things Microsoft! Many congratulations on your new appointment by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI, thanks for the comment and sorry for the delay in responding. We store our resources in sharepoint, but anything new we make, or any links we post in a shared team (we have teams per year group just for the staff who teach that year group). Create the team and open the notebook from there. Make your colleagues part of the team and they can also see everything you put in the notebook. Hope this helps.

      Delete

Post a Comment