Q-Chat - Quizlet and AI - what a team!

 


AI is clearly the talk of the town at the moment.  I've personally used it very successfully in a number of ways. I have mainly used ChatGPT as a starting point when I have found it difficult to get going on a topic. For example, I have used it to help me spot repetition in a document I was writing and then to organise the content of that document into different headings. As part of that process, I was delighted with the way in which I was able to have a semblance of a conversation with ChatGPT to decide if my document was repetitive, if it document needed more organisation and even if I had missed anything.  I simply gave ChatGPT the goal of the document and a useful 'conversation' ensued where the Chat bot gave me some suggestions which I could discount or include as I saw fit.  In short, I'm a fan and I can see lots of potential for teachers.


I have just discovered this lovely feature in Quizlet which is in Beta mode and I'm really excited by it.  You are invited to select one of three options: Quiz me, Story mode and Practice with sentences. 


Let me show you why I am excited.

Quiz Me

With this option, Q-Chat simply takes the term and creates questions out of them.  Here's a sample question based on this Quizlet Set about statistics relating to immigration in France.  The terms are in English and the definitions in French.  When I first trialled it, my questions posed by Q-Chat were in English but I really wanted them in French so I switched the terms and the definitions around to get what I wanted.  But this time.... I thought, why not simply ask Q-Chat to ask me in French.  Check this:

Q-Chat: change of language
For the final question I did not write the exact response as per the definition in the quiz.  Clearly Q-Chat was not entirely sure about my response and didn't say it was necessarily right or wrong.  It simply gave me the details based on the definition in the Quizlet set (and it's wider knowledge from the good old internet).  




But Q-Chat is able to think on its feet, as you would expect.  This question: 
 What percentage of French people are in favour of a quota of refugees?

has been drawn from this term and definition:

Term: 69% of French people are in favour of a quota of refugees

Definition69% des Français sont en faveur d'un quota de refugiés

My response was not exactly like the definition in the set but it was near enough and Q-Chat recognised this. 



I'm more than happy with the Quiz option.   But what about the other options?

Story Mode


Story mode was not an option with this particular set on immigration as the questions did not lend themselves well to it, so I tried a different set. This time based on a GCSE set Mon travail bénévole.  I did try other A Level sets based on strikes and politics and they worked well too.  

Q-Chat creates a paragraph based on the vocabulary in the Quizlet set. It then poses questions based on the chat.  As the following image demonstrates.




 At this juncture, it felt like it was time to move on and so I selected a new mode.

Practice with sentences

Q-Chat did not cope well with starting a new mode immediately after story mode and so I needed to start a new chat.   This worked smoothly and I was thoroughly impressed with Q-Chat and it's ability to understand my sentences and to correct my mistakes. 



This feature worked brilliantly at all levels. 

I had a little explore for other subjects and found that Q-Chat had different options. So for history, for example, you could experience:

1.  Quiz Me
2. Deepen my understanding
3. Tell me a fun fact

And when I explore genetics for biology I noticed that in Beta mode there were some 'deeper learning YouTube videos'.  I had a fascinating few questions for an English set based on An Inspector Calls  created by Susan_Jones255.  The set was based on quotes with key words missing which students have to complete; a great way to get students to focus on key events and ideas and remember important quotes at the same time.   Q-Chat endeavoured to deepen my understanding.   




In these screen shots here you can see that I have felt free to respond with a 'no idea' or 'I don't know'   I really like this and think it's a key part to success when students are studying.  They should feel able to respond freely without being judged and Quizlet and Q-Chat allow for this.

In all, I'm impressed.  Yes, there are a few glitches, not least, I could not easily add accents which is not helpful for a linguist, but I am really keen to see how this develops and excited to share with my colleagues.  There is a lot of potential.

Have you tried it and what do you think?  Let me know in the comments box below.











Comments